Friday, November 11, 2011

Number 4

As I was getting ready to leave for the hospital last night, the hospital called. They said Chase's wound was leaking spinal fluid and they needed to take him to surgery to explore the wound to find out where the fluid was coming from. They had also mentioned that he may need a drain in his back or the possibility of needing his internal drain shut off and an external drain placed again. Above all, he was not coming home.

On our way to the hospital, the neurosurgeon called and said it was best to take him now since there was an opening and she didn't feel comfortable waiting. So, like the first time he had surgery, I didn't get to see him before he went.

When we got to the hospital, we went to the surgical waiting room. We were only there for about 10 minutes when the surgeon came to talk to us. She said that it was old spinal fluid that was retained in the wound and not leaking from the dura mater, which was very good news. He did not require any drains, but they left the wound open, which will have wet to dry dressing changes and will need 7-10 days of antibiotics. The downside is that he will have to stay in the hospital until the round of antibiotics is done (insert sad face with tears).

So, this is where we are at with things. As always I will update if/when things change.

Like last time, I will leave you with this:


No comments:

Post a Comment